Are Medicare Part B Premiums Tax-Deductible?

Healthcare Writer

Updated on September 28th, 2023

Reviewed by Frank Lalli

We aim to help you make informed healthcare decisions. While this post may contain links to lead generation forms, this won’t influence our writing. We follow strict editorial standards to give you the most accurate and unbiased information.

Yes, your monthly Medicare Part B premiums are tax-deductible.

However, you can only benefit from the medical expense deduction by following specific rules. You’ll need to file your taxes in a certain way, itemizing your deductions instead of choosing the standard deduction. Additionally, your medical expense deductions only begin to count after they surpass 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income. Adjusted Gross Income, or AGI, is your total pre-tax income before certain non-itemized deductions, such as health savings account spending.

Considering a Medicare Plan?

Compare options now.

You may be better served by not deducting medical expenses depending on the circumstances. You may only want to deduct medical expenses in one year and not another.

However, if you’re actively self-employed, you can deduct your entire health insurance premium. You can do so even if you don’t itemize your deductions. This deduction will be entered on your Form-1040 in a section separate from your other medical deductions on Form 1040-A.

A tax deduction – like the well-known medical expense deduction – reduces the money you must pay taxes on. Taking the medical expense deduction gives you a write-off that will reduce, but not erase, the taxes you owe.

Learn about Medicare plan basics in our easy-to-digest guide

Taking the Next Steps

Considering a Medicare Plan?

Compare options now.

Considering a Medicare Plan?

Compare options now.

Keep collecting bills or receipts for your medical expenses. You can see if you’ll want to aim for a medical expense deduction by reviewing your spending and income for the current year. More importantly: this is not tax advice – speak with a qualified tax professional to learn more.

Share this article